Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry {Early} Christmas to Us!!!

This morning our kitchen passed final its final inspection -- woohoo!! We began this project on November 9th and after being somewhat displaced, we're finally home and ejoying our new kitchen and couldn't be happier with how it turned out!! There are a few last minute touches that need to be finished up but other than that - its complete! Now it's time to find a dining room table and get decorating!!

My vision for this kitchen from day one was a very neutral space but cozy and inviting. I brought in warm beige tones from the granite to the tiled back splash to compliment our maple spiced cabinets and floors. I didn't want the granite or tile to overpower each other but I wanted each to stand out; I think it works!

Trust me, making big design decisions based on a 2x2 sample and trying to picture it in your kitchen is not easy! I definitely had the hardest time with the tile but as soon as I saw it installed in a picture, I was sold! The granite was pretty simple. I knew I wanted a lighter color with a lot of detail. The one we chose has black and garnet running through it, so I went with a brick colored accent wall to bring out the red tones. Painting everything that color would've made the room feel small, so I chose a creamy tan to soften it and tie everything together.

As far as the lighting, we went back and forth with how many pendant lights to do...2 or 3, 2 or 3....? Our island is 5 1/2 feet long and having 3 seems perfect. We splurged a little and had under cabinet lighting installed. I highly recommend it, it makes the kitchen look completely different at night {pictures to come!}

Contrary to what you might think, Kev did have a lot of input into our kitchen...he was on appliance duty :) His favorite part was picking out his "must have" beer + wine fridge that he was adamant about having in the island. At first I was against it but I'm glad he convinced me because let me tell ya, it kicks ASS!! I love to cook, but I'm no Ina Garten so having functional but not "over-the-top" appliances was the way to go. We went with the stainless steel look to keep the kitchen looking clean and high-end. For five years, our nasty old fridge didn't have a light due to some electrical snafu, so being able to see what's in our fridge now is strangely wonderful!! We went with Kitchenaid for both the dishwasher and fridge and GE for the smooth-top stove and microwave. We chose Grohe for our faucet and paired it with an undermount D-shaped Artisan sink.

We love having people over, so having a "bar area" of our kitchen was key. We wanted place we could fix drinks,store glasses, liquor, mixers - you name it! Since this area was sort of a seperate space from the rest of the kitchen, we threw in some honey colored crushed glass tiles in between the stone to give it some flare and stand out.

I'm very happy with all of the choices we made. It's everything we could've possibly wanted and more. We can't wait to host our first get-together this week with friends and family. I'll post pictures of the refinished hardwoods, new trim and paint in our bedroom soon! Enjoy the pictures!

Before:

20091103_0707
20091103_0703
20091103_0705

After:

IMG_6936
IMG_6935
IMG_6937
IMG_6951
IMG_6947
IMG_6953
kitchen2
IMG_6956
IMG_6955
kitchen

12 comments:

Courtney said...

It's gorgeous!! What a change- WOW!

Jen said...

I'm so jealous, Stace! I've always wanted a wine fridge and an island in my kitchen.... It all looks very grown up, bet you will really enjoy it x

Alicia said...

Jealous.... it looks great! Love the wine fridge :) Merry Christmas!

The Haigh's said...

WOW!! It turned out beautifully. I would die if I had a kitchen like that, it looks very functional. And Jen's right, very grown up.

Tara Holmes said...

What a transformation! You did an amazing job. Your house is gorgeous! I can't wait to drop by someday and have a beer from your cool fridge. Love the red wall too and the tile accents.

Marge said...

gorgeous! wish i could have seen it in person. So excited for you guys! xoxo

DeLane, Kevin & Parker Lilly said...

Bravo Staci Bravo! Great choices!!

Blyth Family Blog said...

OMG! Beautiful!! Now all it needs is me with a glass of wine in it!! Love it!!

Stacie said...

Thanks ladies for all the nice comments!! I swear it looks even better in person! I wasn't a huge fan of the "tan" color I chose because it came out more yellow than I had anticipated, but it's growing on me a little bit. :)

Lyndsy said...

It turned out sooo fabulous. My goodness I am in love! Congrats on a beautiful kitchen and nice work on all your creativity and hard work! Can't wait to see it in person one of these days!

Michelle said...

I swear I commented awhile back, maybe it didn't work? However, I LOVE the remodel! I think it looks amazing, you guys did a wonderful job! I would love to see it in person! :)

Shelby said...

Nice work! I'm very impressed. I want a booze fridge!! Would love to see it in person ;) XOXO