Monday, November 9, 2009

Operation: Kitchen!!!

Wow, what a busy {crazy!} couple of months it has been!! The traveling and friends' visits have died down, but we're again right back in the throws of chaos!! For two years now, I've been bugging Kevin to take down the wall between our kitchen and workout room to open up the space and have a huge kitchen/eat-in dining area. It just makes a lot of sense... We'll be able to enjoy it, the resale of our house increases, etc... But for two years he's been telling me to politely, "take a hike!" :)

Well... (and I pat myself on the back as I type this) he caved - and has now admitted what a fabulous idea this was!! The past month or so has been a whirlwind of contractors, granite, cabinets and tile and today was "D Day!" Demoliton Day... We officially began our kitchen renovation!!!

Over the next 4-5 weeks, our kitchen will be transformed into the space that it was always meant to be. Somewhere where we can entertain friends and family and just be in a beautiful space where everyone gathers and feels at home. We can't wait for the everything to be installed and see it all come together. It's been a loooong time comin'!

As I said before, demolition started today. The "before" pictures were taken this weekend. Our contractor gave me a hammer this morning and said to take a few swings, which I obviously loved doing (see the smile on my face!) See ya ugly kitchen!!!) The plan was to take down a wall between the workout room and kitchen, making a 20 foot by 12 foot kitchen. As it stands, the view from our living room is two doors, one to each room. The new space will block off the WR door and widen the kitchen door. We're installing new cabinets, countertops, appliances, tile backsplash, hardwoods and a kick ass 5 1/2 foot island.

Here are the pictures - excuse the mess, we were packing :)

20091103_0704
The Before - Kitchen
20091103_0706
Another shot of the kitchen
20091103_0705
Looking into the kitchen from the living room...wall on the left near the flowers is the one being removed
20091103_0708
Workout room from the living room
20091103_0710
Another shot of the workout room, wall with the painting is being removed
20091109_0714
Oh yeah - watch out, mama's got a hammer!
20091109_0718
See ya wall!
20091109_0720
Workout room door framed and sheetrocked... kitchen door that has the plastic covering will be widened 18" to mirror our front entryway
20091109_0719
View out to the back of the house/deck - these windows and slider will remain where they are
20091109_0721
That area that juts out is the existing chimney - a 4-foot pantry will be built in next to it...
Here is the floor plan.....
Mullin, Kevin and Stacie plan


Lots still to do - I'm currently in tile HELL! I can't decide what I want for the backsplash - the whole theme and color of the kitchen is dependent on it. This is a BIG decision and I'm definitely taking my time on it! Any suggestions on tile backsplash are welcome!

Stay tuned for more updates and pictures...

13 comments:

The Haigh's said...

oh Stacie, I'm so jealous. We currently have a very small kitchen that is definitely not conducive to our lifestyle and a wall that seperates the kitchen and living room which I would LOVE to take down and make a great room. Keep us posted on the progress, I can't wait to see the finished product. On another note, I have lately seem some really nice vintage-looking copperish backsplash tiles that would let you bring warm colors to the kitchen.

Erin said...

Can not wait to see the finished product! I think I need to see it in person...sometime in 2010 :)

Stacie said...

Ooooh, point me in the direction of that fun tile! I'll keep you posted with pictures of the progress!! Yes, Coff - I need more visitors (once this is complete, that is!) :)

Shelby said...

Seriously my heart is pounding I'm so excited for you right now! And jealous, too. I'll email you some backsplash ideas that I love. Are you keeping the white cabinets?

Michelle said...

Yay! You're making progress so quickly! Way to go, I can't WAIT to see it when you're done! Hope eating doesn't get to be too incredibly challenging, sans the actual kitchen... ;)

Stacie said...

Shel - no, we're doing a maple cabinet with spice finish.
Go here http://www.6squarecabinets.com/web/products/nicollet.html - they're the middle cabinet... please send backsplash ideas!!!

Jaclyn Z. Reiss said...

OH my goodness SO EXCITING!! I can't wait to hear how everything goes - you have to keep us posted with tons of progress pics. Side note, I am really loving subway glass tile backsplashes - the glassy effect is fancy but the bigger tiles give off a vintage/casual look. What color scheme are you working with? Here is an example: http://glasstilekitchenbacksplash.com/images/glass_tile_kitche_backsplash.jpg

Jaclyn Z. Reiss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacie said...

Thanks Jax! I am in LOOOVE with subway tiles..big, small - doesn't matter! I do like the look of the glass - I'm going tonight to look at more options. Decisions, decisions! Keep the suggestions comin'! They are much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to see your new kitchen next month!

Lyndsy said...

It is going to be so amazing when it is all finished! I just love it! I am especially loving how quick the wall went down! I cannot wait to come visit in the spring and enjoy a meal in the new space! Keep the pictures coming please!

DeLane, Kevin & Parker Lilly said...

WOW how exciting friend! There is nothing better than a kitchen you love to cook and entertain in!! Can't wait:) ANother fun idea to think about is a stamped metal/tin...saw the idea on HGTV with Maple cabinets and it looked fabulous

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.